Here is what I had in my bowl:
- Brown Rice
- Black Beans
- Fajita Vegetables
- Fresh Tomato Salsa
- Roasted Chili-Corn Salsa
- Romaine Lettuce
I plugged all of this into Chipotle's handy-dandy nutrition calculator, and here is what it came up with:
- Calories: 740
- Calories from fat: 210.5
- Total Fat (G): 23
- Saturated Fat (G): 23
- Trans Fat (G): 0
- Cholesterol (MG): 155
- Sodium (MG): 1635
- Carbohydrates (G): 86
- Dietary Fiber (G): 21
- Sugar (G): 11
- Protein (G): 55
- Vitamin A (%): 116
- VItamin C (%): 101
- Calcium (%): 34
- Iron (%): 34
I am obviously not going to give up Chipotle, so I've given myself some guidelines for eating it, and will put it in that category of "every once in a while" foods.
Tips to enjoy Chipotle while trying to be maintain a healthy diet:
- So I already took out some things that helped me get rid of calories, including the tortilla (300 calories and 690 G of Sodium) and sour cream (that would add 115 calories and 95 calories from fat, plus 9.5 G of fat).
- Opt for the brown rice rather than white rice - more nutritious and still delicious (ha-ha)
- Add plain greek yogurt at home if you like the taste of sour cream - it is a great substitute for sour cream, healthy, and so tasty- plus you can control the proportions
- Next time, I could eliminate the cheese (100 calories and 190 MG of Sodium) - or just ask for half
- Eat only half of your bowl or burrito and if you're still hungry, eat some fruit. Then you have delicious leftovers for the next day!
- Notice I did the chicken AND veggies - that way I am working towards my daily goal of getting ~5 fruits and vegetables a day.
Or even better yet, try making your own burrito bowl at home!
I already make the cilantro-lime rice all the time (just make some rice, squeeze 1 lime into the rice, and add a handful of chopped cilantro)...you could throw in a can of black beans, store-bought salsa, chicken marinated with taco seasoning, corn, romaine lettuce, plain greek yogurt, avocado slices or guacomole, some cheese and you got yourself a burrito bowl. If you want to really try perfecting it, here are some recipes that look yummy to try:
- Chipotle's Chicken Burrito Bowl with Cilantro Lime Rice
- Chipotle Chicken Fajita Rice Bowl
- Better than Chipotle Homemade Steak Burrito Bowls
The answer to my post title is obviously TO CHIPOTLE (just not like, ALL the time).